Monday, November 4, 2013

Pre-Departure

Saludos a todos / Greetings to all
Firstly I would like to introduce myself. My name is Adrien Friesen and I am going to be moving to Sucre, Bolivia this mid November of 2013, working alongside the FCM (Federation of Canadian Municipalities) on placement with Cuso International, within the position of Local Economic Development Adviser.
Backing up a little I can provide a brief insight as to what led me this opportunity. During the latter half of my life I have placed great importance on seeing as much of the world as was possible given the resources I had. Interspersed between my undergrad courses at the University of Waterloo I took every opportune moment to embark on another life-changing journey through whichever corner of the world would take me at that point in time.
Ever since my first taste of the adventure lifestyle in 2006 - when I went to Southeast Asia in search of something new and exciting - I have not been able to shake this fundamental component of my life. The feeling of the wheels touching the tarmac of yet another runway in another foreign land, with millions of local (yet foreign to me) people, all curious as to whom I might be and where I come from. This feeling of complete and utter adventure only seems to further catalyze one's sense of curiosity and exploration, and it is still through these means that I manage to continually satiate my hunger for the unknown by embarking on as many journeys as possible.
My most recent adventure was an opportunity I found through MEDA in Nicaragua, where I worked with local farmers and small to medium-sized enterprises to increase their market linkages and improve their agricultural technologies. Since this time I have been back in Toronto working towards, well, finding work. Sometime in September I was received a pleasant phone call from Cuso International, thus commencing the interview and training process for the position of Economic Development Adviser in Sucre, Bolivia. This brings me up until today, as I frantically tie up any loose ends and prepare myself for life on the other side.
As the complete details of my work are also still fairly unknown, I am told I am working with the local government association of AMDECH (Asociacion de Municipios de Chuquisaca / Association of the Municipalities of the department of Chuquisaca). The FCM in Canada provides human resources to AMDECH in Bolivia to further their economic development objectives. I will be working in and around the city of Sucre, aiming to strengthen institutional capacity and work towards more effective leadership and governance structures, leading to sustainable and equitable economic development.
Living and working overseas is a life changing experience, one where you often learn just as much about yourself as you do of the place you are living in. The new language, people, cuisine, and cultural mannerisms are all of equal excitement and bring about constant learning. I have made many close friends while traveling, working, and living overseas, and I am eager to continue doing so in Bolivia.
I will be trying to post as frequently as possible, although I know that the realities of a new place, job, and culture can sometimes make this difficult. At the least, I will try to share some of photos and stories as they occur until a proper post/update of my placement is deemed possible. Feel free to leave comments and suggestions on my blog as well, as I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
All the best and God bless,
Adrien



No comments:

Post a Comment